A fascinating insight into the life of Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Britain’s longest reigning queen consort. This unique collection of essays, poetry, and artwork reveals the true history behind the brilliant wife of King George III.
Queen Charlotte (1744–1818) left an enduring impact on British society and culture. From her patronage of the arts and botanical interests to the scandal surrounding her personal life and addictions, this volume reveals the unknown details of the Georgian queen’s reign. Discover her private letters, delve into her friendships, and explore how she helped run the country while the mental health of King George III deteriorated.
The chapters featured in this volume include:
- Biographical Portraits of Queen Charlotte
- George III: The Mad King
- Friends, Gossip, and Ladies of the Court
- The Private Letters of Queen Charlotte
- Georgian Fashion: Powdered Wigs and Lace
- Dogs: A Queen’s Best Friend
- Sniffing Tobacco and Taking the Waters
- Music, Cocktails, Poetry, and Botany
- Last Will and Testaments
Read & Co. Brilliant Women is proudly publishing this brand-new volume of essays, poetry, artwork, and archival documents in an exploration of the untold history of the Georgian queen.